My name is Giulio and I’m a painter and illustrator based in Antwerp, Belgium. I studied painting at the Royal Academy od Fine Arts of Antwerp. Since always, I’m deeply passionate about Illustration books, comics and fictional narrative. I worked for promotional campaigns of events organized by the cultural associations Vlaamse Fruit, De Bekooring and Dante Alighieri. My illustrations were published in Italy for the first time in the book Antichton/Antiterra written by the musician and poet Graziano Moretto. Since 2009 I exposed my illustrations and paintings in collective expos and two personals.
- November 2020 –”RAAK!”, group expo organized by Fameus and coSTA cultural associations in collaboration with Stadmagazijn and the city of Antwerp.
- September 2020 – “A conversation about life and death”, group expo organized by Loods Des Doods collective in collaboration with Pleaseaddcolours collective at Archipel art center, Antwerp.
- August 2020 – “GAST 2020”, group expo organized by Fameus cultural association at RAAT art center, Oudaan, Antwerp.
- July 2020 – “Exit Strategy”,group expo organized by Pleaseaddcolours collective at KOP gallery, Antwerp.
- August 2019 – “GAST 2019”, Tique Gallery, Antwerp.
- May 2019 – “Depression unveiled”, group expo organized by Fameus cultural association in Kasteel Sterckshof, Deurne, Antwerp.
- September 2018 – “In between”, two-persons expo at MAF gallery, Antwerp.
- July 2018 – “Pillar 12”, street art group event, Wilrijk, Antwerp.
- August 2017 – “Beyond the light” , two-persons expo at MAF gallery Antwerp.
- May 2016 – “Catch 22”, Antwerpen Tower, organized by the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Antwerp.
- June 2013 – “Best of 350”, group expo dedicated to the best works presented at the expo “350” organized by the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Antwerp.
- May 2013 – “350”, celebrative group expo at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of Antwerp.
- April 2013 – “Mail Art Expo”,Strasbourg Central Station (FR).
- July 2012 – “Art DNA”, Castello Aragonese di Agropoli.
- June 2011 – “Biennale del Libro d’ Artista”,Biblioteca Sperelliana di Gubbio.
- April 2011 – “Mail Art Gubbio” , Biblioteca Sperelliana di Gubbio (ITA).
My work is intended to be a meditation about the mysteries hidden in dreams, in nature, in memories and how they can be represented in their evolution and mutation becoming another instant of a story to deliver to the beholders. I found my inspiration and reason to build my figurative narrative language from the work of those who walked the insidious path of the magic and fantastic realism, beyond the anthropocentrism. Not only painters but writers, film-makers, authors of comics or illustrated books such as Lovecraft, Gaiman, Giger, Henry Darger, Antonio Ligabue, Joe Coleman, Katsuhiro Otomo, Junji Ito, Mario Bava or the artists of the Wiener Schule van Phantastische Realismus.
I wish to bring togheter the world of painting and the world of illustration.
A proper thanks
A special thanks is due to the team of Marketing Heroes for the realization of this website; for the friendship and moral support they always accord to me. Thanks to Julie Davis, Ben Gers, Barbara Davis and Niels Van De Wouver.